Monday, April 28, 2008

Injury vs Sickness

..what's worse...well sickness is always except when it comes to anything over a week, which means I may have chosen an injury this time around. Normally illness has some sort of ending, but this one is a stubborn little thing. Just when I think it has run its course I get sick again. This might be a little of my own fault, but even when I began running it seemed as though things were pretty much back to normal. The only good thing is that today's run felt quite good.

The shocking part to this week was that my mileage wasn't great except when you consider the number of sessions. I ended up just under 130km, but I only ran 5 times. At least i got some specificity work in place....I hope.

Mon: 2hr 3mins (felt great til the last 20-30mins ) and later that night I had a fever and didn't go to work on Tues
Tues: sick
Wed: went to work a 1/2 day and came home...wrecked...
Thurs: Went to school as we had student led conferences with parents. I figured I was a little fatigued, but since I got through the day I should fine... right???? Wrong.... Went out for 93mins and later that night had a fever again
Friday: No work. Good sleep. Felt good in the evening so went for planned 80mins, but ended up at 92mins. Felt ok, but pretty tired after
Saturday: workout...no workout....workout...no workout....ended up at 66 min run with 'dug'....no PM as felt absolutely smashed....uh oh...
Sunday: "Screw it" I bit the bullet and did a marathon/long run workout. I figured I needed to do something even if it didn't go well. Ended up at Bby lake and did a session I did before CIM in the Fall. 40mins run (actually one loop around bby lake in 43 mins), throw on the racing flats, grab some water and take a gel (4mins)and then proceed to do painful crap that being 10 x 6mins at MP or slightly quicker based on HR )approx 165/166) and 3mins at avg 140-150HR range. I was okay through 6 and even 7, but my easier section were what killed me. I felt fine on the quicker sections and didn't really slow down that part that much (a good sign???) With a short warm down I ended up at 38km, but god I hurt on the warm down. I really felt that lack of a mid week workout to keep my mechanics solid and also my easier sections HR seemed very high (probably due to the sickness)

1 comment:

Sean Chester said...

It's been nearly a week since your last post. You're feeling better by now, I hope!