Sunday, March 29, 2009

You cannot go wrong.....

Everyone has their favourite/standard workouts they like to do. Some people like tempos, other interval session and so on. Over the years I've found some that really work. The one big issue with these is that they somewhat mimic (although still great sessions) my personality. Often when one has done these sessions they do em and go that was 'great'. "I know..." is of course my usual response...."...why do you think I told you to do them!"

In no particular order:

1) Monfartlek 2 x 90 sec-4 x 60 sec-4 x 30 sec 4 x 15 sec with same medium paced jog recoveries. You cannot go wrong with a session named after one of the great all time marathoners.
2) Hills....any hills, but in general 45-50 sec for me. Just up and down for 20-45mins
3) 10 x 3mins off 30 sec easy easy jog at threshold pace
4) 5 x 1600m off 2mins. I actually don't like this workout, but when I can roll it I am ready. Typically the beginning of my taper for a 10km
5)20min threshold/tempo-2min rest - 10min back at tempo
6) 4-6 x 1000m of alternating 200m at mile pace with 200m slightly slower than 10km pace off 2-3 mins. A great session from the old days and gets you ready to race a 5-10km without breaking you down
7) 4-5 x 2km at tempo (or slightly slower) and 1km at 30 secs slower. A session I created purely by accident that i later found out the great British marathoner Richard Nerukar likes (excpet he does it 2km at marathon pace). I hate doing pure steady tempos on my own and this one fits the bill of a long sub threshold tempo with the easier section, while also keeping you focussed the entire 15km. Another good long tempo would be 2-3 x 15mins but done as 5min below threshold-5mins at and 5 mins a bit over. The take 60-90 sec rest and roll again!

No comments: