Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Timing is Everything...

...and mine was bad this past week. I could feel a cold coming on last Monday and by Tues it was getting quite a bit worse. By Sunday I thought things were coming along, but I'll assume my Sunday run and hockey put me back (although Julie was telling me that this current cold also seems to be following a feel better and then feel worse cycle), as on Monday I was totally congested.

By Tues I was feeling completely congested again and also feeling sleepy. I decided that the drive down to Minoru was better put off for next week and that it was better I push myself than someone pushing me into further oblivion.

Since I've been in a hill phase it wasn't a bad idea. In the end it was probably a good decision. I had a nice hill session and actually ran quite a bit faster than last week. I figure 2 solid weeks of hills (along with the more minor hill sessions I've had) will suit me well for my next phase of training. the best part is that I seem to be handling the volume of the hills well. When i can be consistent with my longer volume hill session I know I am getting fit. i also find that hills really sets me up well for intervals on the track.

That's one thing I forgot this year was how I really periodize my training. In my build up I made the mistake of getting a little jumpy and not ignoring what everyone else was doing. Typically I disappear for 2 or so months before I even consider doing intervals. It's always been a series of tempo runs, aerobic fartleks and some harder hills/fartleks that are my mainstay in my buildups. I try to never do anything really structured (egs pace) although my workouts tend to be quite structured in regards to time.

Now some other parts of my training need to come together and things will be okey dokey. I find hills fill in those holes. even last year I had done no real intervals and stepped on the track for a series of very controlled 1600s and avg'd 4:40s. I expect my next time out to be in that range

No comments: