Sunday, March 15, 2009

SICK.....

On Monday I started to feel lousy, and by Tuesday afternoon I felt terrible. The mornings are the worst, but the good thing is that once I get going I feel much better. Unfortunately, a combination of the time change and my cold has meant no AM runs. Shockingly my overall volume hasn't really dropped and I've actually had some good sessions.

This week I decided to pay special attention to hills. I have done some hill sessions up to this point but nothing back to back. I had originally planned on hitting the track on Tuesday night, but I felt terrible after work and decided it was better to do some hills on my own accord, rather than get sucked into doing intense intervals. In 20/20 hindsight it was a great decision. I felt good and ended up doing a 48min hill circuit (a combination of bounding hills, running hills and short sprints at the top and bottom). I also did another hill circuit on Thursday, but only for 40mins.

I also made a decision to can my midweek longer run. I looked back at my old training logs and I really didn't begin doing these on a consistent basis til 2005/2006. And that is also the time when I began having some greater degrees of inconsistency.

The other killer for the week was playing hockey. When we lived in New Zealand my hockey gear was stolen, and I haven't played in full gear since last night. A guy I used to work with emailed me and we were supposed to play for an hour. Fun I thought until we ended up playing for 3 hrs. Needless to say I didn't count it as a workout, but I probably should have. The good part was my Sunday long run of 2:20, which wasn't stellar, but considering the hockey it was outstanding. In the past I've actually found that hockey helps my running. Hopefully, this will also show some benefits. I'd rather play hockey and work on my power, core, etc....than hit the gym any day.

Monday: 70mins
Tues: 48min hill circuit
Wed: 70mins
Thurs: 40min hill circuit
Fri:70mins
Sat: 4mile tempo run in 20:45 on gravel trails (actually faster than last weeks 8km tempo pace and run easier), plus 4 x a 'post' (1040-1050 meters run in 3:10-3:18) in a 4min set
Sunday: 2hr 20mins

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The long run was due to the company and the hard pace set on a couple of the hills ;^)