Sunday, March 1, 2009

Finally....

I am at the point where taking in over 100 miles was not forced, but rather just happened. It wasn't a stellar week in regards to any one day, but rather was simply a solid week of nothing great....nothing bad.

I actually feel those weeks are of the utmost importance. It means no blowups, but results in very solid and consistent training. But once you get there the concept is simply maintaining that level until things really begin to take off. The workouts really take off while the volume and off days stay the same.

Once you get there then it also means not hammering the easier days, but just keeping them honest. Even then some days with the good workouts can result in some really slow runs as you now have the ability to beat yourself up, without fear of injury or not recovering. You can now get away with some more intense work without fear of falling apart......at least that's the way it's supposed to work.

Mon: Easy day 54 min run, plus a little bit of core work
Tues: My wife took me to the Brad Paisley concert...yippee kay yay!!! So I ended up on my own (as opposed the scheduled 1200s on the track) and decided to do some hills. If I felt good 30ish mins...if i felt good then 40....and I ended up doing 40
Wed: snowed here...freaky stuff, but still got in 1 hr 45 at the SFU trails
Thurs: 30min run, 8 mins tempo uphill and then 5 more mins flat plus 20 mins of very controlled hills
Fri: afternoon 54mins PM 34 mins
Sat: Ran with the pups but only for part of the workouts. They were doing something more intense than I need right now so I did 20min below tempo pace (I followed them as they did a 3km tempo and then I kept going) - 3min rest and threw the flats on - 10:30 at tempo pace HR - 60 sec rest - and then 3 x 1km off 30 sec. felt a little flat, but that was much fatigue as form PM: at gym 45 mins elliptical trainer plus 30 mins weights
Sunday: Hoping for somewhere around a nice 2 hrs, but felt really good so ended up at 2hr 18mins on hilly trails

No comments: