Sunday, April 5, 2009

GRRRRRRRR.......

......as Bill Squires used to say 'The long run is what puts the tiger in the cat'...

.....and that is what my long run today seemed to do. I normally wouldn't post a second update, except something is going on with my running. I don't know whether it's my fitness coming along to a new level, my renewed ability to relax or what, but as I often say who cares as long as I get there on time.

I did my standard 'SFU run', and figured I might feel a little flat from yesterday, but the opposite occurred. Anyone who has done the loop with me knows that 48-49 mins is standard (heck even some days 50) anything below that is cruising pretty good, but today I did it in just over 44 without really trying (I dn't think I've ever gone under 46 and that was trying). The idea was to see how I felt and then either make it a steady run or do a long run hill fartlek style (run the uphills harder after 30-4mins). When I checked out my watch at various sections I knew I was moving, but it was so easy. The strange part were all the surges I ended throwing in on various hills (some as little as 5-10 secs and others 4-5 mins).

The trails are also windy and I was moving so quickly on the flatter sections and the later stages of the run that I kept on running off the trails at various twisty corners. It was entirely new territory for me and something to consider as a staple of training. Runs like this are what most runners want to feel like and I can honestly say I haven't had this sort of run.....well ever. Now the question is what does his meaan how does my body respond over the next week or so....

2 comments:

Chris said...

Something something about running longer intervals since January - top of your aerobic limit. Something like that, then March 28 looks like a quazi-sharpening type run...

Bomber said...

....it should be so simple......but it's only a smidgeon of the reason/answer....