Thursday, April 23, 2009

Feeling flat...running decent....

It's been a hectic week with too many later day runs. I hope they don't begin to catch up with me....hope being the operative word.

I haven't posted since my Sun Run due to leaving my computer at school and then simply not getting around to it....now the report.

I ended up at 30:39, which was okay considering things. It was an interesting race as (like many Sun Runs) there were two groups early on. I ended up in the second group, but was actually chomping at the bit to catch up around the 2km point, but decided that might be a tough go considering how I haven't really raced hard for a long time.

In the end I made the choice to simply hang out, but the aggression of wanting to catch up meant I surprisingly wanted to control the second pack. From about 2-3 km on I was at the front of the second pack (another Mizuno athlete Rajean Chiasson alo seemed to want to control the pack as well so we did quite a bit of the work and dictated the nature of the pack) and simply threw in some surges and countered when necessary.

I never felt as though I was in any real problems with the pace. In fact it felt quite easy, til the racing began around 2km, and then I realized I had no 'getty up and go'. I caught Eric Garner (sub 4 min miler) with about 600m to go, but he was able to come back and out kick me. I realized over the last 400m I have no speed right now. But I also realized I was fairly fatigued and couldn't get my body to run much faster, irrlevant of the earlier pace.

That's always an interesting situation. You are tired from training so you really cannot hurt yourself because you are fatigued, but you are fit enough to run decent. What's exactly where I was. After I finished I didn't even feel that banged up. It was almost too easy. Even th next day I was rolling again. I ended up as first masters and 4th place Canuck so a double payday. 'Sweet as....'

Mon: (day off) AM 62mins nice PM 38mins
Tues: 70mins
Wed: 16 x 1min hard-30 sec easy easy then jog 90 sec jog and then 6 x 30sec hard- 30 sec easy easy jog and then some 15 secs off 45 sec
Thurs: 85mins
Fri: actual back off 46mins quick
Sat: AM 45 mins at decent clip
PM 30mins plus 4 x 10-15 sec hill strides
Sunday: race 10km....had a later run planned but our neighbours invited us over for dinner and I couldn't resist a beer.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Nice job on that master's 30:39. What is the record? 30:07??

Penney said...

Nice work, Mark. We heard your award announced just as we were coming into BC place. All the best, Joanne.