Monday, May 12, 2008

God I love the last two weeks....

before big races.....some people hate getting ready for races. I freaking love it. It's the mid season races I hate. My type B personality requires that I need a lot more stimulation than those crazy type A's and the early-mid season races just don't do it for me. That's the one thing I've come t realize. In general I really don't care what happens beforehand race wise, as long as I am confident in my training

I can't say that this training buildup has gone perfect, but then again it hasn't gone bad. But I seem to be clicking just at the right time in regards to mechanics, feel and most of all simple focus. I drive my wife crazy as I tend to get a little grumpy and completely zone her out. When I stay in that 'constant' state of neither getting up or down, but more a slightly 'glazed over look' that's when I know I am ready (at least I hope).

Here's to the taper....

Saturday:
AM: 68 mins at the SFU trails with 'dug'
PM: 43min easy

Sunday:
AM: 38mins with 'dug'
PM: Hill circuit 53mins at Deer Lake ( a series of hills that go anywhere from 2+mins for bounding all the way down to 50 seconds and sprints in between). I find a good hill workout has always worked for me. It helps my mechanics and my legs get fatigued without getting beat up.

At the end of the week I was a smidgeon below 190kms.

Some say follow a 3 week taper for the marathon, but with being sick I decided to go with the 'Bill Freeman taper'. Freeman wrote the old TnF News book on periodization and had a 5 week taper phase that went low week, med week, high week, low/med week, low taper week.

1 comment:

Rob Cunningham said...

dont forget your glucose tablets for your marathon drinks...