Saturday, May 10, 2008

But it makes sense to me....

Funny how some bad patches of training can be forgotten (somewhat) with a run here in some comfortable surroundings or a workout you enjoy. If there's one thing I've come to realize it's that what may make sense from a purely physiological standpoint doesn't always make sense from a mental viewpoint.

Around Xmas time Bruce Deacon and myself got into a good discussion on a warm down after a workout through the snow (a friend of mine Bert, who loves to talk ;-), didn't say a word. Instead he ran behind us and apparently was laughing to himself as he listened to Bruce and I banter back and forth like an old married couple) and the jist of things was how Bruce trained versus myself.

Bruce's results speak for them themselves, but he is a true blue type A long distance runner who argued that a very structured training regimen (or doing the least amount of work required) was key (egs specific marathon paces and workouts). I on the other hand am no slouch myself (espec as an ‘old guy’) being the type B former middle distance runner (who has had to learn some of the OCD compulsions of the long distance runner) argued that my training needed to be less structured and more fartlek or ‘feel’ style oriented. That's one I have come to realize with people I've 'coached/advised' over the years (and myself) that first and foremost you have to believe what your doing irrelevant of whether it makes perfect sense to someone else. As long as the effort and work is put in then the rest typically falls into place (unless you treat training like 'rocket science', which of course it ain't)


Bert on the other hand laughed as he commented after that you two are both right and wrong. I knew what he was saying and to paraphrase a quote from British coach Frank Horwill 'in the end it's results that matter'.

This week was one of those weeks. After my fiasco of being sick and then banging my head against the wall last week, I needed to get back some (at least for me) basics, which is simply some long reps, a good long run and a tempo (although I'd love a little quick fartlek right now, but that's for next week).

Wed:
After Tues session I felt a little beat up on my AM run, but my PM run was very solid and best of all my mechanics felt smooth AM: 30 mins PM 67 mins quick

Thurs: 2 hr 52 mins
My last real long run. Originally this was supposed to be done almost 10-14 days ago and a little longer but sickness and racing deep-sixed that one. Some people say do your last long run 3 weeks before, but I couldn't fit that in, so I figured do it mid week and reach a happy medium. Ran on my 'hilly as', but also favourite place to run, lower and upper SFU trails. The last time I did this run my legs were really beat up, but this time I put in 2 hr 52 mins at good pace. I don't know my exact pace, but I have places that I know are quick and this run was quick. That's the one thing with these trails. They are so windy you can't hammer all the time, but there is very little flat stuff so it's almost like a fartlek and the downhill can really beat up your legs. The idea was to really push the hilly sections the last hour when they appeared

Friday: 60 mins with 'dug'
My cold from last weekend is still sticking around. Nothing huge except I am blowing 'chunks' from time to time (eeeewwww) and it makes me groggy in the morning. This was one of those mornings...congested and sleepy so decided for an afternoon and evening run. Only problem was that I fell asleep after my afternoon run and woke up at 10:30. Once again if my body is telling me I need some sleep then I won't force the issue.... besides I will still end up with a very good week by the end.

No comments: