Thursday, October 15, 2009

Racing...we talkin bout racing.....

Yep I actually raced on the weekend. I cannot say it was pretty, but it was fun...kinda. I felt after 2 weeks of doing some semblance of intervals that I'd jump in a race. Originally, I had planned on the Royal Victoria 8km, but we had plans to go down to Maple Falls for Thanksgiving.

I ended up running the western Washington Uni XC race. I've done the race before, but not for a while. It often interfered with some other races, but it was great to get down to Bellingham and see some people who I haven't seen for a while (WWU coaches Al Reimer, Bill Roe and Pee Wee). I had an interesting chat with Albert I'll post next time. I even bumped into (old guys will remember this name) the infamous Mike Lynes. Even UBC was there, so I knew I had to at least try and put in a honest effort against the young bucks. The final clincher was masters star Tony Young was there so I had to counter both old and Young (no pun intended).

I went out mellow and worked my way to the front after about a km. I felt great, but as soon as that happened I felt terrible. Although i had a planned down week I hadn't rested for the race (I did some hills on Thurs and out in a 7-8 miler on Friday night...I really hated that Friday run from 10-25mins of the race). In the end I hung on a couple of UBC guys (I still have some semblance of pride and ego in racing) and had a decent last mile with a good solid stride (although I had a 1:52 800m guys clipping at my heels). I ended up in 17th (I think) just over 33:20. The winner was 31:40ish (I think).

The race at least gave me an indication of where I am progressing. Two - three weeks ago i wouldn't have been lucky to go under 35mins on the course, so if I can get that sort of progression for BC XCs I'll be okay.

Mon: off...why...i just felt like not running..
Tues: 8 x 800m off 2 1/2 mins. Felt pretty good
Wed: legs felt a little beat up and simply put in a 70min run...easy
Thurs: Hills (20mins) of 4 x 20 sec -4 x 35 sec- 4 x 20 sec, etc....)
Fri: 53 mins easy
Sat: AM race 10km XC PM 38mins
Sun: AM 66 mins PM 35 mins

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

almost looks like a bonafide training program; intervals, hills & a tempo run