Sunday, October 4, 2009

'Grind.....'

..that's the sound of my training.....pure and simple it's a grind. But I can feel things happening (if slowly) so i hope that's a good sign.

It's been another busy week, but that's been more due to school cross country. We normally have races on Mondays, but the schedule has been all over the place. We had a Surrey race on Thurs, a pseudo club meet on Saturday and another race on Monday, but then we don't go again for two Wednesdays. We are even hosting our own race this year (apparently I get to create the course so beware....).

We have a nice grp of kids who come consistently and then of course the one who don't. Unfortunately, most of the really talented kids haven't been coming out. That drives me nuts when you can see a kid who would be a better runner than soccer, hockey, basketball player, but then again I would have rather been a hockey player (but 130lb hockey players don't exactly go far in this world).

But alas we seem to have possibly gained a star 8th grader. Kid won our Terry Fox run and we got him to come out for this weeks race. He placed 2nd, but it was to a club kid who trains consistently. Best part is he's a little guy who plays hockey (I don't know anyone like that), but obviously has some talent. We'll see.....

My week has been another simple week (how I like it) of long reps, hills, tempo and long run.

Mon: 68mins easy
Tues: 1600-1200-800-1600-1200-800 off 200m jogs (not pretty but i knew that was going to happen when I woke up that morning
Wed: 62min plus 8mins of 'transition/circuit'.
Thurs: Hills - We had a race that day so I ended up running in the dark on a road near my house Hills...the idea was to get in alternating circuits of 4 x 20 sec and 5 x 50+ sec hills and if felt good then add on a few mins for 30 sec hills)- 4 x 20 sec hill - 5 x 50+ sec hill - 4 x 20 sec hill - 5 x 50+sec hill - 3 x 30 sec hill - 4 x 20 sec hill
Fri: 60mins plus 5 min transition
sat: AM (whooohoo a double....)33min and then took some students down the Pre BC HS Xc race....
PM by the time I got home I was tired and ended up running down to a lit gravel trail near my house. The idea was to run out 15mins take 1min rest and then run back in a 10mins - 1min rest, take off from the exact spot and then 5mins. If i did it properly then I would be a exactly the same spot I started in....and I think I was 1meter short (seriously). The workout felt good, but the warm down felt like hell....
Sunday: me and Carta hung out all morning and I didn't get my run in til mid afternoon. A nice 2 hr and 8min around the SFU trails. Surprisingly the legs felt decent and the run was at an easy effort, but good clip.

In total around 90miles on 8 sessions...but in reality 85 off 7 sessions.

1 comment:

Andrew Armiger said...

Not that I have any words of experience to help in this, but maybe try to find a way to motivate the talented kids who want to 'just go along' with the more popular sports, help to paint your vision of what they could do in their heads. Sell them on achieving something special, something that makes being a sub riding the pine in the anonymity of a larger group look wimpy and small. I would say look to guys like Joe Newton, Joe Vigil, and Dan Green for ideas about that. I am in my freaking thirties and Dan Green (The Woodlands H.S., Texas) had me ready to run through a wall when I heard him speak last year.