Friday, October 2, 2009

falling asleep on the couch....

..is not conducive to getting things done at night. The last few weeks have been really busy and when they are not I am trying to spend every second with Carter before he goes to sleep. As a result I've been falling asleep on the couch, waking up in the middle of the night and then having a lousy sleep til I get up for work.....I am my own worst enemy.....

Things are settling into place, but then again when that seems to be happening something else seems to take it's place.

Training has been solid, although not spectacular. I do not get back into racing shape easily, but then again it's also some of the training choices I make. Some people gradually build up volume. I have found the opposite, at least in regards to hitting my 'sweet spot'. I tend to keep the volume at a decent level, and let the workouts fall where they may. It means some really ugly days at first, but some much much better days later on. The only issue is in having enough time to actually have the training adaptation to occur.

That's kinda where I am right now. I am supposed to be racing at a decent level in the next 2-4 weeks, but with my recent session things look well downright ugly....but as always there is hope that I am simply tired.

Last week was my first real week of intervals, but the greater stress was a hill session i did last Tues. Normally the hills would have been on Thurs or Sat, but the long intervals came down on a Thurs and I did my hills on a Tues. They felt great, but the next day I knew I had bit off a bit more than I could chew as my run was brutal and by Thurs I could feel my legs were pretty beaten up.

Then on Sat I did a nice tempo but we were at our new place and I couldn't find any dirt trails. Therefore I ended up doing it on the roads. Normally that would be a huge deal, except that I hadn't done any real run on the roads longer than 20 mins (as part of some longer run). My legs went from kinda beaten up to totally beaten up and by the next round of long reps I knew it was going to be messy. But at least things were consistent from beginning to end.

That's one thing I have come to accept...the process isn't always pretty, but ti's better to have crappy session and keep up the volume than have great workouts, but having backed off. Now it's simply hoping the legs come around in time.

No comments: