Sunday, February 22, 2009

At least I am finally seeing some progress

I know that in running progress is almost always happening, but I really hate waiting for it too happen. After my immediate recovery from the 1/2 marathon, Saturday's workout, and today's long run I am hopeful that things are finally beginning to shift.

It's always a learning process and even yesterday's fartlek session at Stanley Park was one of those. My back/hips have been tender and not fluid since Sunday (I need an appt with chiro extraordinaire Rob Nielsen). On Sat we did a 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 mins fartlek with 1-2 mins recoveries. I was decent the first half (even hung within a decent distance from Steve and Ryan up that nasty hill), but hit a bad patch on the second 3 mins. I realized how I was tightening up in the arms and not letting the power come from my legs. Once I was able to work this out on the 2min section I felt much better and felt much better form wise on the final 1min.

The best part of Saturday was actually Sunday. I ended up going solo at the SFU trails and despite the previous day's workout, the mud and snow I hit some very quick splits (but still very relaxed) and the run even got better as I went along and my hips/back really loosened up.

Mon: gym 35 mins eliptical trainer plus lgith weights
Tues: 91 mins and felt really good
Wed: 68 mins, a quick pace from the start and ran my 'mundy park electrical hill' which was just under 9mins despite the snowy and muddy sections I went thru...probably closer to a sub 8:30 hil, plus a series of 60 and 30 sec fartlek intervals for another 15mins
Thurs: SFU trails 1 hour 38 and felt great but almost got stuck in the trails as it got dark
Fri: AM 31 mins PM a fantastic run with splits and ease. Probably not a good idea, but it felt good to roll
Sat: AM fartlek PM 40mins
Sunday: SFU trails 2 hr 17 mins but the last 30mins was like a hill fartlek as I felt so good. If things feel decent tonight then I may either hit the gym or do a short run with drills in the middle.

No comments: