Sunday, January 4, 2009

Despite the snow...

..it was a decent week, but of course that may be because I wasn't back home til Wed.....hmmmmm......

Had planned on going to Stanley park on sat morning for my first group session, but the snow was a coming and I had a physio appt at 11:30. Even before I knew it would be a tight schedule, but with the snow I knew it was impossible.

I will say this the snow hasn't yet gotten to me, but it certainly is trying my patience. Mostly the lack of dug out sidewalks which makes getting to Riverview a bit more difficult and somewhat dangerous. Oh well it could be worse.

Mon: AM 35 min pool run. After my 2+ hr run on Sun this was fantastic. My legs were dea before, but the lack of pounding and movement made them feel great
PM We switched from our suburban hotel to one one the beaches of SD (near seaworld). I ended up running for a really nice 70mins on the compact parts of the beach and then did some drills
Tues: We got tickets to the Holiday Bowl between Oregon vs Oklahoma St.(a great experience for many reasons, but mostly the intensity of the fans...gosh they love their football). We were lucky and got great tickets at a great price. As a result there was no time for doubles and I ended up doing a 'classic' Kenyan fartlek of 20 x 60 sec hard-med. By the end the sun had me and I was feeling trashed, but in a good way. It was a very controlled session for this time of the yr and was true blue fartlek (read the med parts were of good quality and the hard stuff wasn't insane)
Wed: were heading back to Van so i knew a dbl was out of the question and planned my training as a result with a 94 min nice run around the beaches/parks. I felt really relaxed
Thurs: AM 65 min run that was very smooth and quick despite the previous 2 days..heck previous 5 as i hit some super quick splits despite the road conditions. I hope a good sign
PM: 35 min run with drills in the middle
Fri: decided that the previous week and a half needed a real recovery day, so I did a very easy 55mins and nothing else.
Sat: AM looked outside...saw snow and well went out for y short dbl run of 35 mins
PM: THE SNOW WON'T STOP!!!!!!. I ran over to Riverview and even it was not that good. I found one of their long hills and simply went up and down for 30mins ( a 2+min hill with a 30 sec flatter section on the way down that i went hard), plus 6mins of a 30 sec hill and 4 mins of a 15 sec hill.
Sunday: decided to sleep in and do an afternoon run, but once again the snow wouldn't stop and i ended up doing an evening run around Riverview for 93 mins. but at a good clip.

In the end this was my highest mileage since I began running again. Over the last few weeks things have progressed nicely (SD helped) and i ended at 75, 80 miles (with one full day off) and mid 90's this week.

No comments: