Tuesday, December 8, 2009

If there's one thing this sport has taught me.....

....it's what people are now realizing about Tiger Woods and that is great athletes are not always what they seem to be. As a person one is always looking at having a role model/s or maybe more accurately someone they respect.

I fortunately/unfortunately realized early enough in my running experiences that great athletes could be the sort of people who, although you may respect their performances, you do not respect as people. But being a somewhat cynic and optimist all bound up in one I may complain about the ones who have disappointed me, but I've also come to appreciate those who are the 'good guys'.

So rather than focus on the negatives (the stories I could tell/have told) the post is on the positive people I've come across. This is not to say I put these people up on some pedestal (I am way to old, cynical and arrogant for that) I'd rather view these people as those who you know when the 'chips are down' they will be the ones still standing. In no particular order would be those I've come to respect as much for their athletic results as how they approach life and running....

Rob Lonergan...some people may even ask who is Rob ( I hope not), but being the inaugural winner of the Sun Run has to get you some bonus points. He was often the lesser known the great dist runners who came out of the Vancouver area, when the other great runners of the Kajaks dominated. Rob's ability to look beyond the sport (he's a lawyer now), yet still be able to give his all has always impressed on me. Knowing of Rob's career best results being destroyed by his elastic band achilles, yet his inability to also pack it in (I still say his 4th place at the 93 CWG trials as one of the most courageous races I've seen in person) and ability to run tough every time out are characteristics that any runner would be proud. Even now I say that any runner should be afraid if Rob Lonergan is right behind you with 200m to go. Ahhhhh..... if only the achilles had held out, but why do I think that Rob has no regrets.


Art Boileau...ahh the legend of Art. If I've learned anything about Art it's too always carry out the childlike attitude towards the sport. As a 2 x Olympian, Boston 2nd placer, and many other accomplishments, show that Arty has to go down as one of Canada's all time greats (he's still no 3 or 4 all time marathoner). The best Art stories have even come recently. Over the last two yrs Art has essentially been the first one my high school team has seen at BCHS XC champs. I always proceed to put Art on the spot with the younger athletes, as I introduce them to him and tell of his accomplishments. Art's response is typical of his attitude towards the sport as he deflects his standing in the sport, with his still evident American twang, and a response that is always to ask the kids questions about their races for the day (and then proceeds to help us setup our school tent and organize our gear).


Kevin Sullivan.....Kevin is more a peer than anything (actually I am older by a few yrs), but they way he has conducted himself, as a Junior and later as one of the wld's best, speaks volumes of his character. I had the pleasure of being on some teams with Kevin and he always handles himself with distinction and class (well okay except for some of the 'after' parties, but come on everyone needs to blow off a little steam after a big event). If I was a young athlete he'd be at the top of my list as someone you'd want to emulate.


Richard Lee will love this one but his wife Sue also falls into my list (of course he knows this story that was prefaced by my admission 'Dick, did I ever tell you the day I fell in love with our wife?') due to the singular reason that she knew who I was.... I should preface this by saying that Sue might go down as one of (if not the most) underrated runners of the great era of Can female dist runners (egs Lynn Williams/Kanuka, Brit McRoberts/Townsend, Angela Chalmers, etc...). She was a fantastic runner (18th in 85 WXC, the Can 10000m record and 2 x Olympian) and her results sometimes seem to get lost when great Canadian runners are mentioned. Being a student of the sport (even at a younger age) I knew who Sue (amongst many others of her time) was and what she had done, but I never expected she would know who I was... or at least know my name. As a young athlete I had one big breakthrough year, but then unfortunately had an injury (turned out it was stress fracture). As I was coming out of an appt with the Dr I bumped into Sue on her way in. Now recognize I had done nothing before that year, and when I saw Sue she actually knew my name. I was flabbergasted when she even took the time to ask me what I was doing there. Now I am no Sue Lee, but I also know that I have done enough in this sport that I at least some semblance of a positive (I hope) reputation in Canada. Forever, Sue knowing my name would have an indelible impact on how I approached young athletes and anyone who I ever came across....

All of the above have left an impression on me in some way. I doubt that any of the would see themselves in that way I may have mentioned, but to all of them I owe a debt of gratitude. There are many others who have impacted me (In fact those have inspired the most aren't even what one might call great athletes unless you call a 1:51 800m runner great....but that's for another post) in some way because of their athletics accomplishments, but mostly because of who they are as people.

1 comment:

Penney said...

Enjoyed reading your post. It's good to reflect on the people who have had a positive influence. I often think that my experiences in sport have informed much of what I do now.

I hope you will tell your wife that I remember her excitement and supportive comments to me in Penticton as a really positive part of that day!