Monday, June 23, 2008

Ever get the feeling.....(aka the 13 mile fartlek run)

....that maybe you just shouldn't be doing certain things. I am fearful that this is going to be my conclusion in regards to moving up to longer distances. Over the past 2 years the focus has been on preparing for the marathon once I worked out some hip issues. Over the last year I haven't had many hip problems (or really been injured since 2004), but my results have been absolute crap.

It's not that my expectations are that high, but based upon a combination of workouts, volume, etc.....I should be running as well as I did during 2005 when things went so well. My run on Sunday was just such a thing. Now I haven't' exactly been banging down the training 'door', but then again things also haven't been that bad. But every time I run these days I get to a point (physical???mental) where I feel as though I just can't run any faster and that's that. On Sunday I was all over the place pace wise and it wasn't til the last mile when I simply had to just run that I actually felt smooth.

The problem that seems to occur is that i don't feel that way til I get to a mile-2km to go. For a 10km that's not so bad, but when I can't even keep up a consistent pace for the 1/2 marathon I am in big trouble, never mind the full distance. So am I simply a 10km runner??? I have run some okay 1/2's, but ultimately my greatest race success was in a race that was pseudo tactical, but even then I should at least be able to consistently run 1:07's when in half assed shape. But even now i can't even get to the point where i can even run tactically. Hence why I am going to shut down the competitive season and focus on simply having fun and getting that old feeling of running efficiency and racing in the Fall. A few of use are in that boat, so hopefully I'll have some companions on the experience.

Race Report:

Got out okay, but never felt great. Ran with a small pack through 3-5 km (Todd Howard, Finn, and some guy from out east), when I let Todd and Jim break away and that's when the fun started for me. After that I all over the place both in effort and pace. At around 7-8 km I we hit the downhill section and I went after Todd and Jim (they had gained about 30 seconds from 4-8km on myself and the eastern guy). by the time we hit the bottom of Spanish Banks i felt great and had Todd and Jim down to a few seconds, but just as soon as that happened they began to pull away (a lack of running on the roads really hurt me there). But even then i simply went backwards and my steide went to crap.

I simply fell apart and the guy from out east caught me, but as soon as he did I rolled again and actually felt good. I got into my perceived 5km get on my toes stride with my hips pushed forward and was rolling again. But I have gotten so used to the marathon shuffle style of running that I can't seem to 1) hold that form and 2) actually know exactly what it should feel like.

So I was again all over the place, but when I had to go I could (by kits pool i saw Matt Fedoruk and through in a nice surge and felt smooth), but once again my mind and body shut down. Just before we went up the Burrard St. Bridge (17-18km) my right hip flexor totally seized up and I was content to just finish, but as we got half way up the bride I figured one more strong move might get me back. Considering how lousy I was on the hills I was shocked at how well I went up the bridge. As we crested the end of the bride and went down Beach Ave I went harder and for a bit nothing happened, but then slowly I could feel the eastern guy coming back. All of a sudden I figured I only had a couple of minutes to get him and then things got fun. I caught the back of him and slightly went by, but then let him retake the lead. I saw the finish around the corner and simply powered away quite easily.

Why I couldn't do this the previous 19km I have no idea. My legs felt shot by 5-6km and completely messed up the est of the way. My stride had no power, except for the few times I got my hips forward. I feel as though I have become the runner I always dreaded...the shuffler with no power or speed.

1 comment:

Sean Chester said...

Wow, that was a stacked field in Calgary this weekend. When do we get a race report???