Tuesday, December 7, 2010

So what now.....

Oh Yeah .....Discipline.....eeeks not a strong point for me right now. Much like the infamous fictional character Quenton Cassidy who was so jealous of the obsessive complusive Bruce Denton and Jerry Mizner from 'Once a Runner' fame I too struggle with discipline. But that struggle is only in getting going.

Once I am in my routine I am set come hell of high water. this lack of routine would probably explain why my Fall/Winter running has been a mess. Probably why I also found this quote from the great Emil Zatopek to be so enoghtening:

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem.“ (Emil Zatopek)

That's one thing I left out from my original idea to present these mental 'tricks' and that was in my philosophy. I also see running as (as corny and strange as this may sound) a from of 'enlightenment' (take your pick: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enlightenment). In this regards overcoming weaknesses is my form of enlightenment. I find that in this struggle I leanr far more about life than running and in that regards it's a neverending set of experiences that constantly evolve and grow (wow existential isn't it). it's also been an idea that I try to provide to young runners. that this sport is far more than running and competing....it's about learning and evolving. In that case you are constantly motivated.

So here are a few of my tricks to reach this form of enlightment:

1) Create a plan for training, school, etc… (time
management) and have the discipline to stick so that plan (yeah easier said than done sometimes.....and whene evr you think you have trained hard.....remember you could ahve done more)

2) Routine, routine, routine (consistency rule):

“to be good a running life must be boring” – Marty Liquori - former world #1 miler & US 2 mile record holder. This has been the key for my running or as the great Villanova coach (and Liqouri's coach) said: "Live like a clock.".

Every Monday I do this...every Tues, etc...... The greater the routine (not meant to be boring), the easier it is to deal with the monotony of training. For some it's not as relevant...for me it's key!

3) With consistency there is a feeling of empowerment. See my enlightenment beliefs

4) The more you do it the easier it becomes. See Zatopek's quote!!!!

In turn all of this creates mental toughness (‘there are no secrets’ and ‘miles of trials, trials of miles’). Sounds boring but it works....

No comments: