Thursday, August 27, 2009

sniffle...sniffle....

How do you get a cold in August???? I somehow have and it has completely sapped me of energy. I was finally beginning to run pain free and get in some decent miles when I get a few sneezes and then all of a sudden my nose is like a hydrant.

Sometimes timing is everything and I cannot figure out whether this cold is good or bad. I only have another week and a half til school begins and my nephew is down at the coast (they went to the PNE today while i went to sleep. But it may be a bit of a sign as I figured I was in the 80 mile range last week (not workouts, just runs), which was a bit of a jump. I felt great all last week in every sense of the word (I got in an hr and 40 mins at the SFU trails) and was even planning my early season fartlek and tempo workouts.

Of the many things I've lean red as I've gotten older is not try and hammer thru sickness....back off yes, hammer no.... the worst part is that I was finally chomping at the bit to get in some harder stuff, but that will have to wait at least another day.

On a side not is a presentation I am doing at the UBC XC team camp this year. I realized when I sat down to think what is relevant to a young collegiate athlete I thought back to when I first began running and remembered what a complete idiot I was (in every sense of the word). I emailed a few of the guys who have gone thru the UBC system the last few years and asked them about direction. They were really helpful, but I also fear that I may go to the extreme of things.

Basically I've picked a few things from here and there to hopefully create a coherent presentation from their attitudes and the basics of training. Mostly I looked at the 'larger picture' items and tried to relate the to mistakes I made myself and often see other young athletes making. As always I worry that my bluntness will get me in trouble, but I hope they appreciate the honesty. It's one thing I can look at any things in 20/20 hindsight and I don't think a lot of younger athletes get a chance to always be fully conscious of how they need to approach running to achieve even a reasonable level of success.

No comments: