Sunday, June 14, 2009

I really have nothing to say.....

..except that I haven't posted in a while.

Well okay, just a smidgen. I have officially taken my yearly non running sabbatical. A combination of factors from life, work and my achilles have really pushed me to a complete lack of motivation to train.

I have gone out for a few runs last week, but the achilles was a little stiff the next day and the slight bit of swelling\nodules wasn't going away. I saw a physio on Thurs (with another appt on Tues) to put me over the final hurdle and get back on the road. Good time as school essentially ends this week (students only have final exams I hae to mark and then put in my final grades).

I've decided to essentially start from scratch, but more so mentally than physically. With no inclination to even consider a marathon seriously, I am simply going to enjoy a summer of training, get ready for cross and enjoy being a parent.

Rather than post any training I'll instead post some training concepts/ideas. People are sometimes curious with what I've done in the past and how I got there (that's a really long story). My training views are really nothing more than a hodge podge of ideas moulded from a unique perspective(I think in some regards) based upon my own interest in the sport from a young age and analyzing things more from historical/philosophical perspective, as opposed to a scientific view (more a chicken vs egg concept of what comes first).

Essentially it will revolve around athletes (both past and present) characters (cerutty, malmo), leaders(bowerman, vigil, lydiard) and mentors (wardlaw, clohessey, wilson, daws) and of course the scientists (daniels, gandy). Of course I couldn't leave my own opinions our so I'll mix in my philosophies (big picture as opposed to intricacies) of what works, how to approach things and the idea that there are basic principles that are never altered, but that in the grand scheme of things we are all 'experiments'.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

Hey Mark. Congrats on the decision. Baby time is so precious - you will be glad for it!!

I just started putting barefoot running into my work and it has been really great for my feat. I hear that it is good for Achilles problems too.