Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I officially fell off the wagon

The timing of my Achilles injury and the short nature of XC season has meant my short term goals have officially died in a heap of shame. What I thought might be a week or so off has now hit almost a month. Trying to get ready to race might normally work if it was simply say an IT band injury or something that was more predictable, but I've learned that the ol Achilles is a nasty piece of work.

So I am hopefully going to try running tomorrow for 20 mins and actually get some motivation back. My goals are now to try and have a short peak in Feb and if that goes as planned then try Ottawa again. We'll see.....

The one positive in all this has been my re-introduction into coaching. I've moved up to the HS level (North Surrey...the great Marty 'the party' Cluff's alma mater). We have a small and young team (we are a big soccer school so we lose some of those kids who we might get at other schools), but both myself and Scott Svelander (yes a name from the past for some) have tried to build upon what Jenn Schuts got going last year (and she'll be back later in the school year and back full time for XC next yr). We've got some pretty decent gr 8-9 girls, but XC being as I say a 'different' sport we lack some full teams in the other grades.

We're trying to get some other gr 8s involved but so many are playing other sports. Unfortunately, they have a minimum race (2 races)qualification standard for Fraser Valley championships, and therefore BCHS XCs, so my fear is that we get some kids late in the season but they won't be allowed to run. At the very least we seem to have the basis for a team that may grow over the next few years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I cannot think of a more unlikely coaching pair. Thank-god it is just some grade 8 girls!!

Have fun with it:)

... I always thought you were a highschool teacher.