Monday, July 21, 2008

On the Road Again...

I really hate getting back into running again. Even after a short time off I have always had a rough time, both mentally and physically, getting back into the swing of things. Some people seem to get back into shape/running quickly, while I’ve always creaked along.

Over the years the only thing that has made it easier is that I only need a couple of consistent weeks and I am rolling again. And I’ve found other things to do, although I must say that I do enjoy the complete lack of focus and mental break. Unfortunately, I‘ve had some family issues with my mother (she had major surgery) and that supposed break actually turned out to be far more stressful than training and working.

The few saving graces have been having a few people to run with this summer, my decision to focus on XC this fall and therefore not be in a big rush to train and the possibility of creating some semblance of a training group in Vancouver.

Over the last couple of years I’ve tried to get things going like the ‘old days’ (don’t start singing ‘Springsteen’s Glory Days’ now) when you had a ton of good post collegiate guys training together. Unfortunately, the ‘old days’ had so many great runners that you could have 2 or more different high calibre groups in the Lower Mainland that stretched out to Abbotsford. Now the lack of depth is showing and you have one guy here or there. Things seem to be growing and at least in a theoretical stage, but we’ll see what happens. A handful of people have expressed at least a partial interest with ‘Dick’ Mosley and myself have had serious with Richard Lee about him being at least one major part of (as I refer to) the ‘centrifugal force’ to get more people to train together as opposed to as individuals. At the very least there will be someone there and it creates some accountability that sometimes is needed to give people that extra little nudge.

The last while of training (pretty sad I know)

Sat: grouse grind with Mosley 35 mins…..god he’s pathetic at it
Mon: grouse grind by myself 32 mins and a bit
Wed: 32 min (I think I ran on Wed…maybe it was Thurs Fri runs)
Thurs: 45 mins
Fri:
Sat: AM 48mins at Mundy Park PM 29mins
Sun: 66 mins with Mosely at the SFU trails…gosh those hills seem hard now

No comments: